College of Health and Human Services
Schools & Divisions
Division of Social Work
Bachelor of Social Work Admission
Enrollment in the B.S.W. program requires formal admission to the School of Social Work. The following are the minimum requirements for admission consideration:
- Regular admission to the university.
- Completion of a minimum of 12 credit hours. Although advanced students may also apply.
- Satisfactory completion (grade of C or higher) of the required course S 141 Introduction to Social Work.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Evidence of characteristics or potential required for competent social work practitioners as defined in the mission statement of the school. Such evidence may be derived from application materials, letters of reference, pertinent work or volunteer experience, and performance in S 141 Introduction to Social Work.
The B.S.W. Program uses a rolling admissions policy. To allow the admissions committee sufficient time to consider a student for admittance the following semester, students are advised to submit their completed applications a month prior to the end of a university semester.
Admission information may be obtained from:
Division of Social Work
Indiana University Northwest
Telephone: (219) 980-7111
Students transferring from another four year accredited academic institution or a community college into Indiana University have their transcripts evaluated by the University Admissions office in relation to their progress toward meeting general education and supportive area degree requirements. In most instances, the University Admissions office assessment is accepted in relation to general and supportive area course requirements.
All social work courses beyond the introductory level must be taken in an accredited social work program. Transfer courses taken at another accredited BSW program must also meet Indiana University’s academic standards (an earned letter grade of “C” or better), and be judged as equivalent to the School of Social Work’s required social work courses by the campus Program Director on the campus where students are applying for admission.
Ivy Tech Transfer Students
The Indiana University School of Social Work welcomes students who are transferring from Ivy Tech community college campuses. Ivy Tech students, who have earned the associates degree in human services, are prepared to complete the four-year BSW degree at the Indiana University School of Social Work.Students currently enrolled at Ivy Tech are encouraged to plan ahead prior to transferring to an IUSSW BSW program by calling or meeting with the campus Program Director. Early planning can ensure a smoother transfer process.