Bachelor of Science in Education
Teacher Education Requirements
The required education courses are sequenced into five blocks. The courses listed in Blocks 1, 2, 3, and 4 must be completed in this order. Each of these courses must be completed with a grade of C or higher before a student can continue in the program. The professional education courses listed as follows may be taken only after admission into the Teacher Education Program.
The second, third, and fourth blocks of the elementary sequence have specific methods courses with general education prerequisites. The prerequisite for EDUC E325 Social Studies in the Elementary Schools is Geography G110 Introduction to Human Geography plus one-half of the other required social studies courses. The prerequisites for EDUC E343 Mathematics in the Elementary Schools are (1) MATH T101 Mathematics for Elementary Teachers I and (2) MATH T102 Mathematics for Elementary Teachers II. The prerequisite for EDUC E339 Methods of Teaching Language Arts is ENG L390 Children's Literature. The prerequisite for EDUC E328 Science in the Elementary Schools is two-thirds of the required science classes.
Teacher Education Program (58 cr.)
Candidates may begin the Teacher Education Program only when they have completed the requirements listed earlier in this bulletin.
First Block (12 cr.)
- EDUC M310 General Methods (3 cr.)
- EDUC K343 Education of the Socially and Emotionally Disturbed I (3 cr.)
- EDUC K370 Introduction to Learning Disabilities (3 cr.)
- EDUC E335 Education of Young Children (3 cr.)
- EDUC E339 Methods of Teaching Language Arts (3 cr.)
- EDUC E340 Methods of Teaching Reading I (3 cr.)
- EDUC E325 Social Studies in the Elementary Schools (3 cr.)
- EDUC M301 Field Experience (3 cr.)
- EDUC E341 Methods of Teaching Reading II(3 cr.)
- EDUC K344 Education of the Socially and Emotionally Disturbed II (3 cr.)
- EDUC K352 Education of Children with Learning Problems (3 cr.)
- EDUC K495 Practicum in Special Education (3 cr.)
- EDUC E328 Science in the Elementary Schools (3 cr.)
- EDUC E343 Mathematics in the Elementary Schools (3 cr.)
- EDUC P345 Academic and Behavioral Assessment of the Mild Handicapped Child (3 cr.)
- EDUC M304 Field Experience (3 cr.)
Fifth Block (24 cr.)
- Student Teaching (12 cr.)
- EDUC M425 Student Teaching: Elementary (6 cr.)
- EDUC K480 Student Teaching: Special Education (6 cr.)
Urban Teacher Education Program Option I - Provides fourth-block field experiences and student teaching in urban schools.