Bachelor of Science
Group I: Foundation for Effective Learning
Students must demonstrate the ability to use correct, clear, effective English. The student may satisfy this requirement in either of the following ways:
- By being exempted - students who wish to be considered for exemption must take the SAT or the ACT. A score of 660 or higher on the SAT Critical Reading Examination or a score of at least a 30 on the combined English/Writing portion of the ACT will be sufficient for exemption.
- By completing ENG-W 131 Elementary Composition I (3 cr.), with a grade of C (2.0) or higher.
Every student must demonstrate the ability to deliver presentations with logical organization, proper grammar, appropriate word choices, coherent sentence structure, and that take the characteristics of the audience into account. Students may satisfy this requirement by completing
- SPCH-S 121 Public Speaking with a grade of C (2.0) or higher.
Every student must demonstrate mathematical reasoning. Students may satisfy this requirement in either of the following ways:
- By earning a minimum test score of 650 on the SAT Mathematics examination or a 29 on the ACT Mathematics examination.
- By completing, with a grade of C (2.0) or higher, one of the following courses: MATH-M 100, MATH-M 118, MATH-M 119, MATH-M 125, MATH-M 215. This course can also be used to satisfy requirements within the major. For example, the Mathematics and Chemistry majors require MATH-M 215.
- By exemption (without credit) through an appropriate examination as determined by the Department of Mathematics.