Associate of Science in Business
A program for which students may earn an Associate of Science in Business is offered by the School of Business and Economics in the field of business studies. This program is for those students desiring less than a four-year university education but who, upon completion of two years of university work, will seek greater opportunities than those open to individuals having lesser educational attainments.
The general requirements for the degree program include (1) admission as a regular student to IU Northwest and completion of all orientation test requirements; (2) completion of a minimum of 60 credit hours with at least 30 credit hours completed at Indiana University and with at least 15 credit hours at one campus (correspondence study courses do not satisfy these requirements); (3) a cumulative grade point average of C (2.0) or higher. Since the courses required in the degree program are standard university credit courses, students may apply those credits toward an appropriate four-year degree program.
To be certified for graduation, a student must have a minimum of a 2.0 cumulative grade point average in all course work, a minimum average of C (2.0) in all courses taken toward the degree, and a minimum average of C (2.0) for all courses taken in the business core. A student must also have completed ENG-W 131 Elementary Composition and CSCI-A 106 Introduction to Computing with a minimum grade of C (2.0) in each course. Any course with a number beginning with zero will not be counted toward degree requirements.
For the Associate of Science in Business, the following general education and area concentration courses are minimally required with specifics obtained from the School of Business and Economics.
- BUS-X 220 Career Perspectives (2 cr.)
- ENG-W 131 Communications (3 cr.)
- Arts and humanities (6 cr.)
- Social sciences (3 cr.)
- Natural sciences (3 cr.)
- PSY-P 102 Behavioral sciences (3 cr.)
- MATH-M 118 Finite Mathematics (3 cr.)
- CSCI-A 106 Introduction to Computing (2 cr.)
- BUS-W 100 Introduction to Business Administration (3 cr.)
- BUS-A 201, BUS-A 202 Accounting I, II (3 cr.)
- ECON-E 103, ECON-E 104 Economics (6 cr.)
- BUS-L 201 Business Law (3 cr.)
- ECON-E 270 Statistics (3 cr.)
- BUS-F 260 Personal Finance (3 cr.)
- BUS-K 221 Introduction to Information Systems for Business (3 cr.)
- Electives (sufficient to make a total of 60 credit hours) (7 cr.)*
*Business and economics courses taken are subject to prerequisites specified in the course listings in this bulletin.