The mission of IU Northwest, one of the eight Indiana University campuses, is to provide higher education to the people of the seven counties in northwest Indiana. Quality and relevance are the hallmarks of IU Northwest's programs. These programs serve the needs of the most diverse, urban, and industrialized area of the state. Out of this diversity, IU Northwest strives to create a community dedicated to the pursuit of knowledge and the value of education. We provide a friendly community in which faculty, staff, and students interact in an energetic and positive environment. Mutual respect and the development of the full potential of each person are essential parts of our educational philosophy. IU Northwest believes that freedom of inquiry, reason, and honesty are necessary to the pursuit of knowledge. The faculty, staff, and administration are committed to excellence in teaching, research, community service, and the management of university resources.
IU Northwest accomplishes its mission through:
- A fully qualified faculty
- whose responsibilities are teaching, research, and service.
- who as good teachers take responsibility for enhancing student learning.
- who pursue research that contributes to the expansion of knowledge, enlivens their teaching, and gives form to their service in the community.
- Fully accredited programs that
- provide a strong foundation in the arts and sciences.
- offer a range of degrees in both the arts and sciences and in the professional divisions.
- offer classes throughout the day, evening, and weekend.
- A continuing commitment to northwest Indiana through
- campus involvement in the region's continuing dialogue about its economic, social, and cultural future.
- faculty research and expertise.
- university/community projects.
In summary, IU Northwest is an urban commuter university providing Indiana University programs to a diverse student body. IU Northwest is committed to preparing its students to live and work successfully in the pluralistic society of the twenty-first century.